The Hunterian collection and its museum

Keppie, L. (2014) The Hunterian collection and its museum. Journal of the History of Collections, 26(3), pp. 355-362. (doi: 10.1093/jhc/fhu028)

Full text not currently available from Enlighten.


The collection of Roman inscribed stones at the University of Glasgow, housed since 1807 in its Hunterian Museum, had its origins in the later seventeenth century, and grew through the endeavours of individual professors. All the material was of local origin, and can be closely dated. In the nineteenth century the collection languished, but in the twentieth it expanded once more due to archaeological excavations undertaken by Hunterian Museum staff and others.

Item Type:Articles
Glasgow Author(s) Enlighten ID:Keppie, Professor Lawrence
Authors: Keppie, L.
College/School:University Services > Library and Collection Services > Museum and Art Gallery
Journal Name:Journal of the History of Collections
Publisher:Oxford University Press
ISSN (Online):1477-8564

University Staff: Request a correction | Enlighten Editors: Update this record