The hydrogenation of mandelonitrile over a Pd/C catalyst: towards a mechanistic understanding

McAllister, M. I., Boulho, C., McMillan, L., Gilpin, L. F., Brennan, C. and Lennon, D. (2019) The hydrogenation of mandelonitrile over a Pd/C catalyst: towards a mechanistic understanding. RSC Advances, 9(45), pp. 26116-26125. (doi:10.1039/C9RA04618F)

[img]
Preview
Text
191888.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

895kB

Abstract

A carbon supported Pd catalyst is used in the liquid phase hydrogenation of the aromatic cyanohydrin mandelonitrile (C6H5CH(OH)CH2CN) to afford the primary amine phenethylamine (C6H5CH2CH2NH2). Employing a batch reactor, the desired primary amine is produced in 87% selectivity at reaction completion. Detection of the by-product 2-amino-1-phenylethanol (C6H5CH(OH)CH2NH2) accounts for the remaining 13% and closes the mass balance. The reaction mechanism is investigated, with a role for both hydrogenation and hydrogenolysis processes established.

Item Type:Articles
Status:Published
Refereed:Yes
Glasgow Author(s) Enlighten ID:Boulho, Dr Cedric and McAllister, Mairi and McMillan, Mr Liam and Gilpin, Miss Lauren and Lennon, Professor David
Authors: McAllister, M. I., Boulho, C., McMillan, L., Gilpin, L. F., Brennan, C., and Lennon, D.
College/School:College of Science and Engineering > School of Chemistry
Journal Name:RSC Advances
Publisher:Royal Society of Chemistry
ISSN:2046-2069
ISSN (Online):2046-2069
Published Online:21 August 2019
Copyright Holders:Copyright © 2019 The Authors
First Published:First published in RSC Advances 9(45):26116-26125
Publisher Policy:Reproduced under a Creative Commons License

University Staff: Request a correction | Enlighten Editors: Update this record

Project CodeAward NoProject NamePrincipal InvestigatorFunder's NameFunder RefLead Dept
466652EPSRC Doctoral Training Account (DTA) 2007-2011Mary GoodmanEngineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)EP/P503582/1VPO VICE PRINCIPAL RESEARCH & ENTERPRISE
584861EPSRC Doctoral Training Grant 2011-2015Mary Beth KneafseyEngineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)EP/J500434/1VPO VICE PRINCIPAL RESEARCH & ENTERPRISE
642131Doctoral Training Grant 2013 - 2017Mary Beth KneafseyEngineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)EP/L50497X/1R&I - RESEARCH STRATEGY & INNOVATION
701101EPSRC 2015 DTPMary Beth KneafseyEngineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)EP/M508056/1R&I - RESEARCH STRATEGY & INNOVATION

Downloads per month over past year

View more statistics