A study of blood contamination of Siqveland matrix bands

Lowe, A.H., Bagg, J. , Burke, F.J., MacKenzie, D. and McHugh, S. (2002) A study of blood contamination of Siqveland matrix bands. British Dental Journal, 192(1), pp. 43-45. (doi:10.1038/sj.bdj.4801287)

[img]
Preview
Text
Lowe[1].pdf

173kB

Publisher's URL: http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v192/n1/full/4801287a.html

Abstract

AIMS To use a sensitive forensic test to measure blood contamination of used Siqveland matrix bands following routine cleaning and sterilisation procedures in general dental practice. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Sixteen general dental practices in the West of Scotland participated. Details of instrument cleaning procedures were recorded for each practice. A total of 133 Siqveland matrix bands were recovered following cleaning and sterilisation and were examined for residual blood contamination by the Kastle-Meyer test, a well-recognised forensic technique. RESULTS: Ultrasonic baths were used for the cleaning of 62 (47%) bands and retainers and the remainder (53%) were hand scrubbed prior to autoclaving. Overall, 21% of the matrix bands and 19% of the retainers gave a positive Kastle-Meyer test, indicative of residual blood contamination, following cleaning and sterilisation. In relation to cleaning method, 34% of hand-scrubbed bands and 32% of hand-scrubbed retainers were positive for residual blood by the Kastle-Meyer test compared with 6% and 3% respectively of ultrasonically cleaned bands and retainers (P less than 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: If Siqveland matrix bands are re-processed in the assembled state, then adequate pre-sterilisation cleaning cannot be achieved reliably. Ultrasonic baths are significantly more effective than hand cleaning for these items of equipment.

Item Type:Articles
Status:Published
Refereed:Yes
Glasgow Author(s) Enlighten ID:Bagg, Professor Jeremy and McHugh, Ms Siobhan
Authors: Lowe, A.H., Bagg, J., Burke, F.J., MacKenzie, D., and McHugh, S.
Subjects:R Medicine > RK Dentistry
R Medicine > RA Public aspects of medicine > RA0421 Public health. Hygiene. Preventive Medicine
College/School:College of Medical Veterinary and Life Sciences
College of Medical Veterinary and Life Sciences > School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing
College of Medical Veterinary and Life Sciences > School of Medicine, Dentistry & Nursing > Dental School
Journal Name:British Dental Journal
Publisher:Nature Publishing Group for the British Dental Association
ISSN:0007-0610
Copyright Holders:© Copyright British Dental Journal
First Published:First published in the British Dental Journal 192(1):43-45
Publisher Policy:Reproduced in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher

University Staff: Request a correction | Enlighten Editors: Update this record