The building and industrial remains at Agrileza, Laurion (fourth century BC) and their contribution to the workings at the site

Photos-Jones, E. and Jones, J. E. (1994) The building and industrial remains at Agrileza, Laurion (fourth century BC) and their contribution to the workings at the site. Annual of the British School at Athens, 89, pp. 307-358. (doi:10.1017/S0068245400015446)

Full text not currently available from Enlighten.

Abstract

A detailed programme of sample collection and laboratory analysis was undertaken at Agrileza, an ore-dressing installation in the Laurion. The site consists of three compounds with associated washeries (Agrileza A, B, and C), some excavated partially, others in full, in the late 1970s and early 1980s and dating to the last quarter of the 4th cent. BC. The particular functions of some of the rooms in compound C are tentatively put forward. The main part of the paper is concerned with the nature, composition, and particle size distribution of the tailings recovered both from washeries A and C and from elsewhere in compound C. The silver-to-lead ratios and particle size distribution of the tailings may suggest that the series of basins and channels making up each washery served not merely as a water purification device, but as a means of trapping ore that had escaped the first washing, for the purpose of dressing it further.

Item Type:Articles
Status:Published
Refereed:Yes
Glasgow Author(s) Enlighten ID:Photos-Jones, Dr Effie
Authors: Photos-Jones, E., and Jones, J. E.
College/School:College of Arts > School of Humanities > Archaeology
Journal Name:Annual of the British School at Athens
Publisher:Cambridge University Press
ISSN:0068-2454
ISSN (Online):2045-2403

University Staff: Request a correction | Enlighten Editors: Update this record